Monday, October 14, 2013

Heading South


A new adventure begins.  I'm at LaGuardia, waiting for my flight to board for Miami. I'm beginning a journey south along the western spine of South America.  Ecuador -- the most ecological diverse place on earth starts me off.  Then on to Peru, Bolivia, and finally Chile.  I'm traveling with my friend and former colleague, Jared (who is thankfully fluent in Spanish).

We don't really have a plan, other than to keep our compass pointing south.  We're staying at a friend's apartment in Quito to start.  From the Andean highlands and cloud forests, the Amazon River Basin and grape-planted hillsides, there's a lot to see.  With active volcanos to mountain bike down and rivers with gushing white water to raft, stories will abound, no doubt. Then there's all the bus rides and people we'll encounter.  Crossing the highest navigable lake in the world -- Lake Titicaca -- will take us from Peru to Bolivia.  Once I hit Chile, I'm going to drink a lot of wine, and Pisco Sours, too, apparently.

This journey is possible because back in August, I gave notice at my job.  I've been working for Assembly Member Dick Gottfried for nearly five years.  It has been a rewarding and wonderfully educational experience, and for that I'm thankful.

I'm hoping to write regularly and share stories.  For now, I'm off to that country on the equator.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Happy and safe trails to you both. I hope I can speak for all of us back here, we will look forward to hearing from you and "traveling" along with you on your incredible journey. Take pictures, Big Hug.