Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Choice and Experience vs. "Poof" and Hope


Take a Letter:

[Begin]



30 January 2008

Dear “Jews-for-Jesus” Activist David,

We fundamentally disagree on human existence. Science vs. "Poof". And yet we both stood stubbornly and staunchly behind our beliefs in debate—for 45 minutes, on the corner of Spruce and Park Row.

It is no shock to myself of this occurrence, as I’ve been doing it for years. In front of the Supreme Court and Macy’s Herald Square over abortion; the Federal Court House in New York City in defiance of conservative judicial nominees; at Ohio State University defending John Kerry; and even on Broadway in my home town while holding “Gore/Lieberman” signs. Each event came with lengthy, raucous banter that went on for sometimes over an hour. The list, of course, goes on. But you, sir, were different. And because of it, so was I.

Now, I say this still having no comprehension or even respect for your view, as it is far from tangible. However, your approach, delivery, and retorts were all enthusiastically presented in a pleasant, reserved, and non-derogatory manner. To this I say cheers because you were the first one I have not yelled with and at, and—I only cursed ONCE! That says something. Furthermore, I continued to remain calm when I decided to dapple with homosexuality as a topic. And as I’m sure even you have dappled with the thoughts of and even actions of homosexuality, I somehow remained steadfastly assertive yet calm in response to your Bible-based belief. That is unlike me.

Just ask the Reverend Fred Phelps of the Westborough Baptist Church, his wife, or even three of his ten children—they’ve certainly heard from me on the same issue.

Let me also say that only one of the conversation’s I had with a Phelps’ family member went on civilly for more than ten minutes. Naturally though, flames were thrown as soon as I disclosed I was not a supporter but in fact a homosexual student seeking information for a negatively exploitive presentation. How savvy and cunning I can be.

But I steered from that with you, David.

And though I did not go without my one-liners and slippery jabs, I remained relatively cool whilst discussing an incredibly fiery topic: human existence, religion, and choice—which of course we lumped into one. To be quite frank, in light of our discourse, I’ve found holes in my argument. And I’m glad, because they are all fillable.

It always shocks me, the people like you, out on the street who push and promote views, be they intolerant or otherwise. I wonder why you do it and what you expect to accomplish. But then here I am: a defiant, rather out-spoken, opinionated, quick individual who pounces on the very opportunity you present. For that I thank you and hate you.

You’re comfortable being confined by a fabulously fictitious text; I, David, am not. Nor should anyone have to be.

I thank you for your time, respect, and pleasantries. But I do not thank you for your existence as a human being.

I find it counter productive.

Good luck with your future and do continue to be wary and stress over something one has the ability and right to do: Choose.

Cheers,

Jeffrey LeFrancois

[End]

Well I just had to get that off my chest. I wonder if I'm too harsh? Oh well.

In other news: the campaigns continue to rival Martini’s in shakery; I’m slowly coming up with a good, solid idea for a path; I leave for White Fish, Montana in less than 36 hours. Yes, that means I’ll be in fucking Montana, whose primary is June 2nd, for Super Tsunami Tuesday, in what will be one of the most exciting days of my politically involved life.

I’m dying for Hilary, in fact I’ve already voted, but I could toast to Barack in November. In the meantime: this is politics baby, and the mud is in full swing. The question is: Who has the bigger shield?

My money’s on the Experience, not the Hope.

I’m expecting to report next week from the Big Sky State.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you, sir, are one in a million!

enjoy montana.

i always wanted to go there after seeing legends of the fall. don't tell me if it's nothing like that. i have the pretty picture in my head!

<3a