Sunday, November 11, 2007

Not Sure What to Call This...



It has been far too long since I last posted. If it were not for lack of technological savvy, I’d have been posting galore. But of course, in trying to fix a minor computer glitch…I erased my internet application program from my computer…the very program that is needed to connect to the internet. Thankfully, I’ll be back online by mid-next week.

As for the past few weeks, they’ve been hell on wheels. The world is continuing to bubble and Pakistan is at the top of the pot; presidential politics are somehow, in some odd way, continuing to snowball—and yet they’ve been doing so for a year too long already; fall has once again come almost two months late this year, and now, now it seems there will no longer be a fall, just a long summer into a heartless, cool, not cold, winter. The trees barely have time to adjust, let alone humans.

My blood is typically thicker this time of year, but now it has just clabbered grossly because of the awkward jump void of middle cool period. I regret to admit it, but I saw Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” for the very first time last night (10 Nov 2007). My oh my. What a film. Shocking really, and yet somehow, again, it has done very little.

He still drives an SUV (a hybrid Mariner), along with his wife, and yet he is saying we can all make change. Now, to the extent I can understand Mr. Gore’s SUV driving: It is a Mercury, an American made car, and one of only two American made SUV models available (the other, a Ford, (the same as Mercury), the Escape). American automakers have yet to produce a hybrid car—unlike Toyota (the world’s newly leading automaker) and Honda (the world’s most fuel efficient automaker).

Frankly, I’ve always felt that Hybrid SUVs are oxymoronic; they get slightly better gas mileage than their guzzling sibling, yet they pale in comparison to Toyota’s Prius or Camry, or Honda’s Civic. You’ll note also that GM does make a hybrid vehicle: a heavy duty pick-up truck—whoopie. Also, most Chevy (and some Pontiac and Cadillac models) vehicles are coined “flex-fuel” vehicles, meaning they can run on ethanol. But, I was wondering…where was the last place anyone saw an Ethanol fuel pump besides the 8 that are in Illinois and the few others scattered across corn country? I thought not.

Yeah, so basically, go fuck yourself GM, then pass Ford and Chrysler the dildo you used.

If you, the Automakers, really wanted to make a difference, you could put more money in your pocket: start opening Ethanol fuel stations!!! But that would be far too simple.

Besides, I don’t want to plug too much for Ethanol as a means of alternate fuel because it is certainly not a permanent solution. In fact, it should barely be considered because of the further degradation the environment will see if Ethanol becomes the new crude oil. We’re seeing the environmental effects of it right now in Brazil and Indonesia; the Amazon is not only under attack by just McDonald’s anymore, nor simply sordid foreign developers. Because of the governmental push to free Brazil’s formerly sluggish economy from foreign oil, they’ve successfully switched to Ethanol. But they need fields to grow all that corn…sustainability? I think not. And though Indonesia as a state is not doing any sort of switch to better their fuel consumption or efficiency, they’re feeding the rest of the yearning world with it. They’re leveling age old endangered forests to produce corn in order to sell it off to thirsty places like China and India.

Oh god. I think I better stop before I get myself wrapped up in a India-Iran-China-Wall Street is Blind issue.

If the first name doesn’t conjure up much, fine. But if the second two don’t make you squirm, squeal, and get squeamish…you must be living with that Wall Street guru who still thinks our economy is flourishing.

Eh.

No comments: